Volunteers Needed for Dakota County Board Citizen Advisory Committees

Make a difference in local government by volunteering for an advisory board.

Editor's Note: The following is a press release from the Dakota County Board of Commissioners.

The Dakota County Board of Commissioners receives advice from a variety of volunteer committees and is inviting its residents to apply for an opportunity to make a difference in local government. Positions are available on the following citizen advisory committees:

Dakota – Scott Workforce Investment Board

Help oversee the activities of the Workforce Centers in Dakota and Scott counties. In partnership with the Dakota County Board, determine methods and delivery systems to assure the best mix of programs and services for eligible citizens of both counties. The board meets monthly on the third Friday in West St. Paul.

Extension Committee

Partner with the University of Minnesota to approve programs, establish a budget and evaluate staff to enhance Extension programs. The committee meets bi-monthly in Farmington.

Human Services Advisory Committee

Study and discuss topics relating to human service areas such as social services, public health and income maintenance. The committee meets monthly in West St. Paul.

Library Board

Participate in planning library facilities and services, set operating policies for the library system and prepare the annual budget. The board meets monthly at varying locations.

Personnel Board of Appeals

Provide the County Board with impartial analysis of appeals filed by employees or job applicants. Board members must have at least 10 years of managerial experience or comparable qualifications and cannot have a contractual, commercial or professional relationship with Dakota County. The board meets for full-day or half-day hearings as needed in Hastings.

Planning Commission

Review plans and proposals and make policy recommendations to the County Board in the following areas: Transportation, transit, parks and trails, land conservation, water resources and environmental management. Review capital projects and address emerging issues that impact the physical or natural infrastructure of the county. Consider conditional use permits in the shoreland and floodplain areas of Dakota County. The committee meets monthly or as necessary in Apple Valley.

Special Board of Appeal and Equalization

Hear appeals from property owners regarding property valuation or classification of properties. The board meets every June in Apple Valley.

Dakota County residents interested in serving on a committee can call County Administration at 651-438-4418 for an application. Applications are accepted on a continuous basis and are kept on file for one year. Incumbents may be eligible for reappointment.

For more information about committees, commissioner district information and specific qualifications, visit www.co.dakota.mn.us/Government/CAC/Pages.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »