.

Dakota County Eligible For Federal Disaster Funding

Preliminary assessments revealed more than $108 million in cost damages after June's storms.

Dakota County was included today on a list of 13 Minnesota counties and three tribal nations declared eligible for disaster relief funding after last month's severe storms and flooding. 

Preliminary assessments revealed more than $108 million in cost damages, according to a release from the Minnesota Department of Public Safety

Under Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) guidelines, the federal government will fund 75 percent of the approved cost; the remaining 25 percent is a state/local match.

Those counties scheduled to receive funding include: Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Crow Wing, Dakota, Goodhue, Kandiyohi, Lake, Meeker, Pine, Rice, Sibley and St. Louis. 

Tribal nations deemed eligible for federal funding include: Fond du Lac, Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe and Grand Portage. 

Eligible work includes debris removal, emergency services related to the disaster and repair or replacement of damaged public facilities, such as roads, bridges, buildings, utilities and recreation areas.

According to FEMA policy, aid will come in two forms: 

  • Public Assistance: Assistance to state and local government and certain private non-profit organizations for emergency work and the repair or replacement of disaster-damaged facilities. This applies within the counties in the disaster area.
  • Hazard Mitigation Grant Program: Assistance to state and local government and certain private nonprofit organizations for actions taken to prevent or reduce long-term risk to life and property from natural hazards. All counties in the state of Minnesota are eligible to apply for assistance under this program.

Minnesota has also applied for individual assistance damage assessments for Aitkin, Carlton, Lake, Pine and St. Louis counties as well as the Fond du Lac tribal nation.

The individual assessments provide federal grants to individuals and private businesses who have suffered damages or losses not covered by insurance.

Individual assessments begin July 11.

See Also:

 

Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook Sign up for our daily newsletter

Boards

More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »