It’s the Super Bowl of shopping, the Oscars for retailers. It’s Black Friday!
Black Friday hype increases every year, and this year, retailers are upping their game by opening earlier than ever.
While Black Friday has traditionally begun the day after Thanksgiving, Wal-Mart was the first to announce they would be opening at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day, Thursday, Nov. 22 to accommodate those shoppers looking for both great deals and a social experience. Now Target and Kmart have followed suit, opening Black Friday sales earlier than they ever have before.
Black Friday deals are reportedly heavy with technology favorites but top toys are also topping the lists.
Take a look at when the major big box retailers around Mendota Heights and Inver Grove Heights are reportedly opening:
- Target reportedly opens at 9 p.m. in West St. Paul on Thanksgiving for Black Friday deals.
- Walmart opens at 8 p.m. on Thanksgiving in West St. Paul.
- Best Buy’s Black Friday deals start at midnight Friday in Inver Grove Heights.
- Kohls opens nationwide midnight on Friday. Stores will be open 24 straight hours, including in Eagan. Online shoppers might be able to find early bird specials starting Nov. 21.
- Sam's Club stores, including the Eagan location, will wait until 7 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 23 to greet customers, according to TheBlackFriday.com.
Other Twin Cities retailers are also cashing in on Black Friday:
- Although information has not yet been released, The Shoppes at Arbor Lakes in Maple Grove tends to be a shopping destination on Black Friday. Stay tuned to Patch for an update or check out their website, including some ongoing deals already posted.
- Albertville Premium Outlets in Albertville has several stores opening as early as 9 p.m. Thanksgiving evening, Nov. 22.
- On Nov. 23 from 7-10 a.m., Ridgedale Center in Minnetonka invites shoppers to join them for Black Friday in Center Court. The first 250 shoppers will get free Macy’s holiday cookies, hot cocoa and other giveaways.
- Some stores at Northtown Mall in Blaine will open as early as 5 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 23, with all retail shops there open by 7 a.m. A few stores such as Herberger's that have their own outside doors may open at midnight, according to spokesperson Linda Sell.
- Roseville mall reports more than 55 merchants plan to open at midnight Friday, Nov. 23.
Looking for deals?
If you are a bargain shopper always wanting to hit the best possible deal, check out PC Magazine’s article about six things not to buy before Black Friday.
Now, let the games begin!
What’s your craziest experience during Black Friday? Why do you look forward to Black Friday? Do you have any Black Friday traditions? Know of any good deals? Share with us in the comment section below.