.

Donald Lee's Blog

Saying what needs to be said. Flag as Inappropriate

Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors. What's on your mind? What's on your mind? Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell something
Posts awaiting your approval 0
Netanyahu
Donald Lee July 23, 2014 at 03:04 pm
Thank you for your comments. Of all the things to say, why does Joyce choose this as the mostRead More important one to make?
Joyce July 23, 2014 at 03:17 pm
Donald Lee asked: 'Of all the things to say, why does Joyce choose this as the most important one toRead More make?' ------------- That, Donnie, would be because YOU appear to take Netanyahu's statement at face value, so I felt it necessary to point out that the situation is a lot more complicated than you make it appear. I won't be posted a lot right now, I worked more than 16 straight hours overnight and I've slept about half an hour in the past 36 hours, so I need to get some rest.
Liberaltarian July 23, 2014 at 04:21 pm
I don't watch Fox News. I just wait for you to parrot what they say.
Lois Lerner before Congress
Susan July 22, 2014 at 08:19 pm
Why not argue or promote specifics? Because then he would have to take a position on the record.Read More You know better, Lib. Donald is a practicing politician, nothing more and nothing less. I hope he is not running in your district and I'm grateful he's not running in mine. Being vague and filling in the blanks with platitudes and sanctimony will be enough to snow those voters who really only care about the letter following a candidate's name. Too bad some don't realize that the (R) and the (L) are not necessarily interchangeable...but then again, I assume that's what he is counting on.
Smokin' Joe July 22, 2014 at 10:05 pm
When debating domestic policy it's possible to be aware of most of the moving parts and how theyRead More affect a given strategy. The ACA was widely panned while it was being written because most of the numbers were available and the numbers didn't add up. .Foreign policy is different. The president and his support staff in theory have access to information that simply isn't available to the rest of us. The president gets a lot of leeway because we are forced to trust that he has better sources than we do, and therefore, while some of his policies may make little sense to the public, there may be valid reasons for those policies. .Donald's example of claiming that a policy was necesary due to a "humanitarian crisis" doesn't inspire any confidence that the president knows more that he can't divulge, rather that he may have made the decision because there's a benefit in it for him or his party. .A great example is the situation in Afghanistan. I've always been against our involvement there, and I'm ecstatic that we're trying to get disentangled from that particular slice of hell, but I've not been able to find one credible source who agrees that it was a good idea to tell the world when we were getting out. Politically it was a nice move, on the face of it not so great for our troops or allies. .There are simply too many areas where the man that we are forced to trust to know better than the rest of us simply appears to be floundering.
Liberaltarian July 22, 2014 at 10:38 pm
It's a dilemma...we generally admire bold leaders who promise action and results. Obama isRead More certainly getting more cautious in promising either of those things. Perhaps he is floundering. In the current hot spots, the potential downside to any action is so much greater than the potential upside. I think he just doesn't want to make any big mistakes - and maybe that's causing him to make more little ones. I don't sense that Obama is trying to score political points with his current foreign policy. He just doesn't know any good answers.
The Pen
amy farland July 15, 2014 at 10:22 am
SJ:Read More http://mn2020.org/issues-that-matter/fiscal-policy/price-of-government-projected-to-hit-all-time-low
Keith Owens July 15, 2014 at 10:29 am
I’m sure Donald is talking about “great damage” like 1) the number of uninsuredRead More Minnesotans falling by nearly 41 percent since September, largely due to the ACA, according to University of Minnesota researchers. Or 2) about 180,000 Minnesotans gaining health insurance as a result of the law, mainly through enrollments in government-sponsored coverage such as Medical Assistance and MinnesotaCare. Or 3) the number of people in employer-sponsored plans declining by only about 6,000, or two tenths of 1 percent, meaning employers didn't dump their health plans and force workers to buy their own. Or 4) coverage increasing in the private health insurance market with the number of people buying their own plan up about 12 percent. I mean, Donald is all about policy, fact and logic, not hyperbole. That’s why he had that fake gravestone at the Capitol to mark the death of traditional marriage when the Freedom to Marry law passed.
Roy Roscoe July 15, 2014 at 11:37 am
You are suckers for numbers out of the very people who have a vested interest in making the numbersRead More looking real good! My weekly favorite is in "deportations" the recent rolling in of the numbers to include ATEP numbers. That's a laugh since 85% of those rejected try multiple times as their coyote contracts often guarantee entry or the next time is free. It's amazes me the confidence you guys have in your politicians!
Supreme Court
Joyce July 8, 2014 at 11:53 am
Donald asks: 'Who is to judge what is "false"?' ------------ Nice cop out, Donnie; whenRead More someone makes a claim that is completely contrary to all the evidence we can safely deem that claim false. See, for example, "Roy's" statement regarding deportations under Obama.
amy farland July 8, 2014 at 04:41 pm
amy farland July 8, 2014 at 04:44 pm
Donald:Read More http://www.salon.com/2014/07/08/republicans_impeachment_mania_how_it_achieves_a_subtler_dangerous_end/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
amy farland June 28, 2014 at 08:48 am
Donald, you do realize that 3! count them 3! supreme court justices were recess appointments. AndRead More for the party of Bush The Unitary Executive to claim Obama is overreaching his authority is laugable on its face. As this author points out, the nature of executive orders matters too. so it is not just the number of orders we should consider but the scope of them. The fact is that this is nothing more than red meat for the conservative base and a way to distract from the fact that the House has been doing everything but its job for a very long time, since 2009 in fact. It is subterfuge as Pelosi says, and Obama is right to laugh off Boehner's threat as the mainsteam media has done as well. The sad fact which conservatives fail to grasp is that your days are numbered and while you may have a majority in the USSC and you may have gerrymandered a majority in the House (although with the fracture between the GOP establishment and the Tea Party, it is hard to see the House GOP as a majority caucus in any case -- Boehner can't even get his own legislation passed by his own caucus). Here is some analysis -- you will not like the snark as much as i do, but the points made are still valid. http://www.politicususa.com/2014/06/28/boehners-frivilous-law-suit-shiny-object-intellectually-challenged-base.html And Don, i am still waiting for your opinion of the Unitary Executive theory, particularlly now since you are an announced candidate.
Donald Lee June 28, 2014 at 09:14 am
10 men enter your house. 9 invited guests by the front door, and one unwelcome guest breaks down theRead More back door to enter. The man coming in the back way does not get much sympathy if he points to the other 9 and says it's not fair. - that the other 9 are OK, so his entrance should be OK, too.
Jim Flaherty June 28, 2014 at 09:45 am
The President claims that the Republican Party is stopping him and the Democrats from passing lawsRead More and enacting the legislation that he/they want. What the President keep failing to mention is that there are more duly elected Republican in the congress then duly elected Democrats. Could it be that the congress is doing what the majority of constituents want and the President and the Democrats are trying to do what they want regardless of the will of the people?
Joyce June 29, 2014 at 12:17 pm
Jim Flaherty wrote: 'What the President keep failing to mention is that there are more duly electedRead More Republican in the congress then duly elected Democrats. Could it be that the congress is doing what the majority of constituents want and the President and the Democrats are trying to do what they want regardless of the will of the people?' ------------------------- What Jim fails to note is that, thanks to gerrymandering, the Republicans may have won more seats in the House, but the Democrats actually got a lot more votes; whose positions reflect the will of the majority, Jim?
Joyce June 29, 2014 at 12:19 pm
"Roy" asked, 'How did he vote on the war as a Senator?' ---------- Are you referring toRead More President Obama, "Roy"? You may not be aware of this, but Obama was not a member of the United States Senate when that vote took place, he was a state senator in Illinois. He spoke out forcefully against war with Iraq at the time, one of the main reasons Democrats preferred him to Hillary Clinton in '08.
BJ McNeely July 2, 2014 at 02:22 pm
Thanks to a tip from our intrepid Susan, Don's 15 seconds of fame from last year has surfaced! CheckRead More out the WCCO story and video that briefly shows a snappily attired Don (love the hat!) in front of the Capitol with a fake tombstone that says "RIP Marriage." Dons adds this about marriage" "Its meaning, its purpose is gone." Which may be a surprise to those of us who didn't abandon our marriages when the Freedom to Marry bill was passed. Find it at http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/05/13/over-2500-gather-at-capitol-for-historic-gay-marriage-vote/
Reagan and Carter shaking hands
Roy Roscoe June 30, 2014 at 05:07 pm
Are you a Bible thumper KO? Or, are you just an idiot who respects pedophiles? Er, I meant whoRead More respects everybody! "Everything is for the best in this best of all possible worlds". "We must all cultivate our own gardens"! Hmm KO, Voltaire gets you and Cervantes too perhaps, since you are a real Don Quijote! Go fight a windmill.
BJ McNeely July 2, 2014 at 02:23 pm
Thanks to a tip from our intrepid Susan, Don's 15 seconds of fame from last year has surfaced! CheckRead More out the WCCO story and video that briefly shows a snappily attired Don (love the hat!) in front of the Capitol with a fake tombstone that says "RIP Marriage." Dons adds this about marriage" "Its meaning, its purpose is gone." Which may be a surprise to those of us who didn't abandon our marriages when the Freedom to Marry bill was passed. Find it at http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/05/13/over-2500-gather-at-capitol-for-historic-gay-marriage-vote/
Liberaltarian July 2, 2014 at 09:29 pm
Rep. Atkins is a very good state representative. Metzen is a very good state senator. If you wantRead More to be a state legislator DL, you should consider moving.
Joyce July 15, 2014 at 10:54 am
"Roy" wrote: 'Zelaya was not at all popular at the time of his arrest. The news said soRead More but that was a lie.' ---------- Then why, "Roy," did the military need to oust him and take over the government (the definition of "military coup" by the way) instead of letting the public decide in the next election?
Roy Roscoe July 16, 2014 at 01:44 pm
See if this response will make it through the gauntlet: The military acted on orders from theRead More Congress and Supreme Court after the a president illegally fired the generals. After Zelaya fired the Generals the Congress voted, if memory serves me it was unanimous, I wouldn't swear to that though, to reinstate the generals and arrest Zelaya and fly him to Costa Rica. The Supreme Court ruled and declared the action in accordance with law. Obama got you Joyce to call it a Coup. You were duped. Doesn't that make you just a little angry?
Donald Lee July 16, 2014 at 07:58 pm
I'm seeing lots of email notices of comment that are not appearing on the blog. i have not gotten aRead More straight answer out of Patch about this, but "Patch 3.0" is coming…. I think it's bugs in the web site. Sorry for the confusion.
Don Lee at the MN SOS office
Roy Roscoe June 22, 2014 at 01:58 pm
Why? DH. Are you going to tell us that the Princeton brain trust can't figure out how to provide aRead More solid education for less than $60K a year? Think for once: what do you need to educate and what does that really cost? The problem is competition! Throwing more money at schools simply inflates the level of competition and distorts the perception of what is needed and expected. It also creates student casualties.
Smokin' Joe June 22, 2014 at 02:24 pm
Many of the private universities use that game Mr. Hansen, charge $50K to $60K per year for tuitionRead More and fees and then grant scholarships to arrive at the student body composition desired. If Beatrice' point is valid, that a university education is an advantage to society, it follows that it is society who should pay. I'm not convinced that she's totally right. I do know that a more convoluted financing process inherently brings about inefficiencies. I've written enough checks to the maroon and gold and seen enough statements to know that there's a huge amount of non-educational costs involved in attending college these days. Eliminating or reducing aid would strike at one of the largest drivers of these rising college costs.
BJ McNeely July 2, 2014 at 02:24 pm
Thanks to a tip from our intrepid Susan, Don's 15 seconds of fame from last year has surfaced! CheckRead More out the WCCO story and video that briefly shows a snappily attired Don (love the hat!) in front of the Capitol with a fake tombstone that says "RIP Marriage." Dons adds this about marriage" "Its meaning, its purpose is gone." Which may be a surprise to those of us who didn't abandon our marriages when the Freedom to Marry bill was passed. Find it at http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2013/05/13/over-2500-gather-at-capitol-for-historic-gay-marriage-vote/
Meriam and her husband
Susan June 30, 2014 at 05:12 pm
Roy wrote: "Which is it: the right is interested or isn't? When the lips move on a liberal it'sRead More hard to know which profile to pay attention to." ----- Again Roy can't keep two issues separate in his head." ----- Clearly, Roy, by using Donald and Jim's names, I was writing about the right HERE. You then made the claim that the right didn't want to politicize it and I pointed out how you were wrong, here AND in other places. Slow down, Roy, and read what is actually written before going on your next mission to type every thoughts that pops into your head. And again, Roy, even though you may need to move your lips while typing, I have no such need, so my lips have nothing to do with commenting online.
Jim Flaherty June 30, 2014 at 06:57 pm
The latest article I have found claims the Meriam has been arrested again. I think it is old newsRead More but is dated on the 29th. As I has already said I will give dew credit when she is out of the country.
Keith Owens July 2, 2014 at 08:45 am
What's "dew credit," Jimmy? Is that something you can use to buy the Mountain Dew youRead More consume by the case?
Google Images
amy farland June 7, 2014 at 06:27 am
sorry Don: your theory re: Operation Choke Point, as with most right wing whining, simply doesn'tRead More hold water: http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/06/04/how-conservative-medias-conspiracy-targeted-an/199585
amy farland June 10, 2014 at 10:22 am
Don: FACTS MATTER. Try using them and obtaining them before you form your 'opinion'Read More .....http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2014/06/benghazi-gun-scandal-issa-operation-choke-point
Donald Lee June 12, 2014 at 05:19 pm
It is possible that Ms Farland simply does not understand the problem. The DOJ is choosing toRead More harrass legal merchants - through the federal enforcement machinery - for perfectly legal activities that are disfavored. The fact that she approves, or that the goals may even be desirable does not change the fact that it is improper. The "Rule of Law" principle protects us from unreasonable government action, but also protects lawbreakers from prosecution because the law cannot tell the difference in all cases. The alternative is to give government power to decide. We need to understand where that road leads.
Miriam Ibrahim and her husband (Google images)
Roy Roscoe June 22, 2014 at 07:07 pm
You questioning my veracity? You really are intellectually meretricious!
Roy Roscoe June 22, 2014 at 07:08 pm
Anything since Fred Flintstone was Grand Puba?
amy farland June 26, 2014 at 06:38 am
SJ: for the last time, Freddie and Fannie did not cause the housing crisis in 2008:Read More http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/12/for-the-last-time-fannie-and-freddie-didnt-cause-the-housing-crisis/250121/
Grinnell Sprinkler (Wikimedia Commons)
Joyce May 30, 2014 at 10:45 am
"Roy" wrote: 'When society creates a benefit for a part of society that it values and thenRead More another part of society in their jealousy shouts "unfair" I want that too. Then they get a law passed that gives them the same entitlement, the net effect is society is telling those people that were given the original benefit that there is nothing special about them anymore.' -------------- Well, "Roy", there really isn't anything special about being white, or straight, or male, or Christian; Americans are supposed to be guaranteed equal protection under the law.
Joyce May 30, 2014 at 10:47 am
"Roy" asked: 'Define "normal" I don't meant the national association of man boyRead More lovers Joyce.' ----------- I just knew "Roy" would bring up pedophilia at some point. Pedophilia, "Roy", has nothing to do with homosexuality. Here is what the APA has to say about sexuality: ---------- http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/sexual-orientation.aspx
Joyce May 30, 2014 at 10:48 am
"Roy" wrote: 'Please Joyce most gays don't like children. I know a guy....' ------------Read More Way to use the scientific method, "Roy"; you know ONE person and from that you extrapolate about ALL homosexuals.
Obama makes Benghazi statement, Sept 12, 2012
Roy Roscoe May 17, 2014 at 10:00 pm
Duly noted Keith O. Because I place such a high value on your thoughts!
BJ McNeely May 17, 2014 at 11:12 pm
Roy Roscoe wrote on May 16: "I have never produced a fact." That's the most honest thingRead More you've ever written, RR.
amy farland June 12, 2014 at 09:47 am
Joyce: i strongly recommend you read the definition of misoygny i posted. I do not think you thinkRead More it means what it means.
Brendan Eich
Joyce May 14, 2014 at 09:47 am
"Roy" wrote: 'You and Nancy Pelosi are comfortable with just pass it to see what's in it.'Read More ----------------- I think we need a new version of Godwin's Law for anyone who brings up that repeatedly debunked claim regarding Rep. Pelosi.
Roy Roscoe May 17, 2014 at 12:06 am
You can not compare anything about small business and free enterprise to Obamacare which mandatesRead More you be a customer or else. Small biz competes and customers decide with their wallets who is winning and who is losing.
BJ McNeely May 17, 2014 at 02:21 pm
I'm talking about basic marketing, you frickin' idiot. As in attempts to influence behavior andRead More change perception. In either case it's a matter of putting your best face forward and ignoring the stuff that has gone south, like the projects that have inevitably gone south for Donald's clients. I don't see him bragging about those or even acknowledging that things don't always go 100 percent as planned.
Ivan Boesky (Wikimedia commons)
Roy Roscoe April 27, 2014 at 08:19 pm
Clive, I think you are messed up. Obama gets the "mooch" in him from his mother's side.Read More "Mooch" has nothing to do with skin color. It has everything to do with liberalism and the Democratic Party. Obama's mother was a mooch and she raised a little mooch who grew up to be president and be lives in creating a nation of mooch. Again, Clive, you are wrong about race being part of the issue at all.
Roy Roscoe April 27, 2014 at 08:28 pm
Clive, you being a racist and all, have more in common with the liberals than you think. It is theRead More liberal policies that created the welfare system that created housing projects and whole systems of high minimums to eliminate access to jobs and economic freedoms. The best way to control a man, the easiest way to take away his pride, dignity and ability to succeed is put him on a reservation and feed and cloth him. While you are at it make rules and laws that prevent him from advancing in life in any other manner than by breaking laws. Then when you want, round them up and put them in jail. Like what's going to happen to you. Then they have an excuse to eliminate your threat at their own discretion. That is why liberalism is the party of tyranny. Oh, I forgot, it helps to separate a man from his spiritual side too. Berate the church, desperate it from mainstream. And Creating lousy home environments and breaking the bonds within families all are powerful allies to promoting the liberalism helpful to winning elections for Democrats.
Righty Ventura April 27, 2014 at 10:41 pm
Messed up, Roy? C'mon, you're speaking my language. We all know that the Democrat depends on theRead More minorities to be dependent, so it has everything to do with skin color. How many White Christian Men do you see mooching off society? Like you, I am a sovereign nation that abhors the welfare system. I am fiercely independent and reliant on no one for a job and obligated to pay no taxes to no gubmint I don't recognize. You are in total agreement with me when you refer to the lawbreakers, separated from their spiritual side and breaking the bonds of families. That's why they was better off as slaves because they had jobs picking cotton and they had a family life. I know who you mean when you refer to "them people." Them people is not like me and you because we are the Chosen Ones and we are the most threatened, persecuted and misunderstood.
Democracy in action (image: http://chrisngwodo.blogspot.com)
Roy Roscoe May 17, 2014 at 11:59 am
Medicare did not apply to those under 65.
Keith Owens May 17, 2014 at 02:30 pm
MedicAID, Roy, not MediCARE. You promised not to comment while you were drinking.
Roy Roscoe May 17, 2014 at 05:46 pm
Keith I you think you know what you speak of. I actually read the Washington State Link JoyceRead More posted. In the words of your flame "What difference does it make?"
Governor Dayton (official photo)
Donald Lee May 10, 2014 at 11:53 am
Welcome Orono. We've not seen you for a while. ;->
Roy Roscoe May 17, 2014 at 12:04 pm
Keith O, History has to make sense, your version doesn't pass the smell test. Of course there wereRead More heroes and many acts of heroism and self sacrifice.
Roy Roscoe May 17, 2014 at 12:05 pm
Of course Dayton's policies purge the state of entrepreneurs.
Children Saluting (Google images)
Roy Roscoe April 25, 2014 at 10:49 pm
Joyce, What do you think the worst thing Obama ever did was: Give The Queen an iPod with hisRead More speeches, or spend too much on a week in Hawaii? No wait, I bet you think the worst thing he ever did was not raise taxes enough and give enough more free stuff to nurses. Well not directly to nurses, but to the patients the nurses help so the patients can give more to nurses. That's it isn't it!
Roy Roscoe April 25, 2014 at 10:55 pm
I think the leftie-lemons think Ovuma can do plenty wrong. But, the leftie-lemons think only theyRead More can criticize his wrongs. The lefti-lemons bristle when another, outside the leftie-lemon camp point a finger at their guy. This is a terrorism thing like which fire hydrant a dog can lift its leg on. Expect lots of snarling and flying fur. Just read through these posts and you can see the need for rabies shots.
Roy Roscoe April 25, 2014 at 10:58 pm
I expect 4,000 dead will be a paltry number compared to what Obamacare does to our healthcareRead More system. I would wager that number will be surpassed before he leaves office just in pressure ulcers from care spread to thin and poor training.
Roy Roscoe May 5, 2014 at 12:18 am
Keith Owens May 04, 2014 at 05:52 PM "As usual, Susan illuminates, Donald bloviates and RoyRead More pontificates." --- And Keith O Vegetates.
Keith Owens May 5, 2014 at 08:35 am
Only took you a little over 7 hours to come up with that one, Roy. Good effort.
Roy Roscoe May 8, 2014 at 01:09 am
Thanks Spud!
Testimony from video
Roy Roscoe April 3, 2014 at 11:32 pm
Amy, "But your diatribes always involve the wicked sordid left. sig" ---Amy that isRead More because the left is wicked and you have demonstrated the limits of sordidness that the left is capable of achieving. I'm not for free healthcare by any means but I would support free witch doctors for all the left. I think exorcisms should be made available upon request without any charges or other artificial barriers to access. Free blood lettings too. Getting rid of the demons the left conjures is in the interests of national security! There is a bone crushing evil that has infiltrated the left today and so far there is no vaccine that can cure it. I think it is related to the AIDS rpedemic.
Liberaltarian April 4, 2014 at 09:46 am
Roy, Your ego would create a bone crushing evil for you to crusade against in every location, inRead More every era, in every audience. If you were indeed a minister, I'm sure you must have twisted the minds of many in your flock. I respect true conservatives, but you are not one of them. You see the devil all around you without realizing the devil has altered your vision. George Bailey would have called you a warped, frustrated old man.
Roy Roscoe April 8, 2014 at 11:57 pm
Liberaltarian, Some leftie started and perpetuated the lie that I was ever a man of the cloth. SomeRead More of them do those things because truth doesn't favor their purposes. I never had the ambition for such a pursuit as patience and virtues were never my strong suits. ---Back to the topic at hand you claimed "If someone is being harassed by the government purely because of their political beliefs, it's certainly wrong and should be condemned." ---- I would add that anytime someone is harassed by their government for any reason it is wrong and should be condemned. I know a man who got on the wrong side of Washington and spent 8 years in a federal prison for a misdemeanor. His crime was a misdemeanor in his country but under a little known law called The Lacey Act a law violated, even a misdemeanor, anywhere in the world regarding fish and game becomes a US felony when the fish or game enters the United States. It being a felony meant the money paid became money laundering. --- At any rate our Founding Fathers understood the excesses of bureaucratic justice. "The criminal code of every country partakes so much of necessary severity," Alexander Hamilton wrote, "that without an easy access to exceptions in favor of unfortunate guilt, justice would wear a countenance too sanguinary and cruel." That is the reason presidential pardons are part of law. Our Founders had hoped ultimately a man with a conscience would always lead the country. They counted on the voters. That same premise means that bureaucracy must be watched with vigilance to be sure it's not corrupt. If you are interested read Henson McNabb vs The United States of equal interest is the petition for clemency filed by his lawyer Estrada (the same first Latino candidate for Supreme Court Justice that Bush couldn't get past the libs). This is all politics to us but McNabb spent 8 years in prison for a crime that was a small fine in the country it happened in, an old law not even enforced. Packing lobster tails in clear plastic instead of cardboard. Not even illegal here. The man came here of his own free accord, once accused, from a country without extradition because he wanted to be standup. Our justice system let him go home 8 yrs. later. You can't make this stuff up!
credit: Google images
Roy Roscoe March 26, 2014 at 12:18 am
Amy, You are a glutton for being wrong! "Roy: i'll leave you to your infallible crystal ballRead More where you divine all truth." What an imagination you possess. You may not have a PhD but that's only because they aren't offered in .Imagineering! Where did the "crystal ball" comment come from? That denotes that something will happen in the future that is not yet observed. Nothing could be farther from fact. I have already seen and heard his lies.
Roy Roscoe March 28, 2014 at 08:54 am
"on the basics? the things that really matter today to most Americans? " according to AmyRead More it doesn't really matter if the leader of the free world is sneaky. The ends justifies the means. But, don't think that to those of us who do care this detail will go unnoticed.
Roy Roscoe March 28, 2014 at 09:00 am
I find it mildly humorous that the liberals, except for Amy have kept silent on this posting.Read More Instead of condemning what they know is wrong and what they too agree with, they remain silent. They can not bring themselves to voice criticism of the one who so closely reflects themselves. "Hush", let's just keep our faults secret and maybe nobody will notice, they whisper. Maybe fixing the faults would be a better strategy for "hope and change"?
Vlaimir Putin(Wikimedia Commons)
Joyce April 1, 2014 at 11:31 am
Old Coot wrote: 'For whomever might be interested, I have had a close encounter with a much toutedRead More Asian surgeon (don't recall whether or not he was Thai, it was 15 yrs back). By all indications he botched a heart bypass surgery at a local hospital. And shortly after skedaddled back to Asia. As to Joyce and Lib, I might not want free aromatherapy, but I certainly did not like lying in a three bed ward recovering from a heart attack. The experience was, shall we say, not conducive to rapid recovery. Since then the hospital has been remodeled, probably increasing operational and debt service costs. Is that bad?' -------------- The ethnicity of the surgeon in question is irrelevant; I have worked with American physicians I would not trust to put a bandaid on a paper cut. Back in NYC, there were several physicians who should have lost privileges at the hospital because of incompetence, but instead the management required that residents do their deliveries and their surgeries for them, but they could be present so they could be the ones paid for the work the residents did. ------------------- As for a three-bed ward, the hospitals in my part of NYC were so overcrowded (and these were hospitals in affluent neighborhoods, with a clientele made up mostly of "Yuppies") had 4 bed rooms which were often turned into 5 bed rooms to accommodate the extra patients; in addition, patients were placed on carts in the hallway with only portable screens for privacy because of over crowding. A lot of hospitals are currently switching to all private rooms because of HIPPA requirements and infection control issues, but not all hospitals are doing that.
Joyce April 1, 2014 at 11:34 am
Old Coot wrote: 'As to Thailand, it is a country known as a hot sex tourism spot. N.B. by reputationRead More only, not from personal experience.' -------------- I have heard that; Thailand is also known for excellent health care: ------------- http://technorati.com/lifestyle/travel/article/thailand-healthcare-medical-tourism-in-bangkok/ --------------- My older daughter (not the one going there for surgery) was in Thailand about 10 years ago; she was teaching English in Japan, so she was "in the neighborhood", and a college friend was Thai, so she flew over and spent some time visiting her friend there. She found the experience wonderful.
------ April 1, 2014 at 03:29 pm
Don't need to reassure me. I have no intention of going to Thailand. As to healthcare, guess I willRead More have to take my chances here in the good old USA. So far, quite a few health crises aside, the care has been excellent. BTW hasn't Thailand had some serious political problems. Or am I thinking of what used to be Burma?
Francois Hollande (Wikimedia Commons)
Jim Flaherty March 22, 2014 at 12:03 pm
Amy repeatedly claims that big business owns government, and by owning government big business setsRead More up tax laws so they don't have to pay any taxes. But here's the truth. These numbers are from four Minnesota-based companies. Let's start with 3M. Last year 3M grossed $30,871,000,000, after expenses that number goes down to 6,562,000,000 of that amount 3M paid 1,841,000,000 in taxes. That's a little over 28% of their net income. The rest went towards dividend payments to stockholders. Stockholders will have to pay either short-term at 30% or long-term at 10% capital gains equaling approximately $200 million. Total taxes paid for 3M's for the year will be approximately $2,041,000,000. The next Minnesota company will look at is Fastenal, last year Fastenal grossed $3,326,000,000, after expenses that number goes down to $713,500,000 of that amount Fastenal paid $264,800,000 in taxes that's a rate of over 37% the remainder went as dividends to stockholders and stockholders will have to pay between 10% and 30% in capital gains tax for another $70-$80 million in taxes. for a total of approximately $340,000,000.00 Our next Minnesota-based company will be, Piper Jeffrey Companies. In 2013 piper Jeffrey company grossed $525,200,000 after expenses the number goes down to $75,600,000 they paid taxes of $20,400,000 or approximately 27%. Our final Minnesota-based company will be US Bancorp. US Bancorp and a total income in 2013 of $19,378,000,000. After expenses their income was $5,836,000,000, they paid $2,032,000,000 in taxes or a little over 26%, the rest went to dividends for stockholders that will pay capital gains of $200-$300 million for a total of approximately $2,280,000,000.00 Next time somebody tell you big business doesn't pay any taxes do a little research on your own. These are all public numbers for publicly traded companies so if you don't believe what I put down check it out for yourself.
Carol Mason April 1, 2014 at 10:15 am
waaa! Poor rich people. Let 'em go. We need real Americans and real citizens, not theseRead More econo-terrorists.
Donald Lee April 1, 2014 at 03:36 pm
Though Jim Flaherty's point is valid,in that large companies often pay more in taxes than they payRead More their shareholders, and the investment and risk involved generally dwarfs any profit, it is important to emphasize that it is the Big Businesses that tend to get in bed with government and effectively conspire to keep competitors at bay through legislation rather than competition. Like the insurance companies and the PPACA, they make a deal with the devil. The Insurance companies allow themselves to be arms of the State, in exchange for future guarantees of profits (and bailouts). In the bargain, innovation and competition from upstarts is crushed. The result is the appearance that government and Big Business are "tight", but the reality is that government rules, and business does what it has to do to survive, and grabs what it can from its new "friend" along the way. The very policies that are supposed to bring those Big Businesses to heel instead turns them into quasi-monopolies with guaranteed profits. ========================================== The solution is a free, competitive economy! Stop trying to micro manage outcomes. Stop picking winners and losers.
Frontiers of Freedom cartoon
Roy Roscoe March 18, 2014 at 09:18 pm
Any writes "Equally disturbing is your instistence that our form of government requires beliefRead More in Christianity. It goes without saying that most of what you have embraced in fact fits more closely with facism than with democracy." -------Amy those thoughts were more that one of the people eho founded the country you inherited by your great fortune of having citizenship her. I would listen to them as they risked and contributed more to this nation than you will. They will be remembered long after you are forgotten.
Roy Roscoe March 18, 2014 at 09:20 pm
Liberaltarian, even if the poor farm costs more, it would provide experience, education and supportsRead More a fact that their is no such thing as a free lunch. That is worth the price.
Roy Roscoe March 18, 2014 at 09:28 pm
Amy, what a ridiculous and useless piece of erroneous "information" to indulge you let'sRead More play make believe and pretend it's true. Who cares? Montgomery Wards would still be in business if we legislated that the prices you had to pay for the merchandise they sold had to be pegged to inflation. That is equally as bad an idea as pegging a minimum wage to such. While your at it, should we peg the profit margins of all enterprises to the cost of living. Is it fair that a business owner might work more hours and receive less profit than a minimum wage? Amy you are so prejudiced against risk takers, I can't believe it.
Train Wreck (Wikimedia Commons)
Roy Roscoe March 4, 2014 at 10:37 am
Donald the reality of history is every so often, while people are bickering over resources andRead More redistribution a cataclysmic event transpires that effects generations. During WW2 for example, distribution of resources was not based on the need for a living wage, free medicine or niceties of life. All resources were prioritized to win a war. Rationing went into effect to that end, which was still abused because individuals still rationalized their own interests to be above the cause. It's human nature, inherent in the population. Since greed exists the system must incorporate it do to be an advantage to all members. Capitalism has done that better than any system previously devised. Furthermore, when attempts is social engineering have departed from capitalism the results have severe detrimental impacts on the poorest members.
Jim Flaherty March 5, 2014 at 06:40 am
How about we blame all the faults of Reagan era on Carter? Reagan came into an economy that was aRead More mess with home interest rates at 12% and car loans at 18-20%, a staled economy and horrible foreign policy. Now I sound like Obama.
Roy Roscoe March 5, 2014 at 09:56 am
If just like to add to my last posting that during a war the poorest "able body" membersRead More are a resource. They are handed a rifle and bullets.
Delegate for Sale (Wikimedia commons)
Roy Roscoe February 28, 2014 at 09:37 am
The bottom line is if you want a clean and clear election there should be rules that preventRead More deviations from the instructions. Filling in a ballot with lipstick is unacceptable!
Liberaltarian March 3, 2014 at 05:08 pm
The question here is one of balancing risks. Without the law, there's the risk of votersRead More intentionally adding marks to their ballots so that someone with access to the ballots can count them and make payments to those who "recruited" those votes. For example a candidate could agree to pay someone $10,000 for delivering 500 votes. The proof that the votes were delivered would be the 500 ballots with a little star in the lower left-hand corner. The risk of keeping the law is that I could lose my vote simply because I accidentally made a little mark on the ballot. Or, maybe I underlined the candidates I wanted to vote for before I filled in the little circles. It seems to me that the risk of someone intentionally marking ballots is minimal because all of the other voter fraud laws would still be in place. If an election judge notices that a number of ballots had similar markings, an investigation could be initiated. It seems like the risk of legitimate votes being thrown out due to accidental marks exceeds the slightly increased risk of voter fraud.
Roy Roscoe March 3, 2014 at 08:06 pm
How about this for a novel idea: just follow the directions and don't mark the ballot, if you wantRead More your vote to count. If you do it you avoid all risks. Do you want the people to decide elections or do you want a judge to decide elections as per his interpretation of voter's intent. If your answer is the former than there can be no extra markings on the ballot. It's simple!
Minnesota Snow Storm (Wikimedia commons)
Joyce March 6, 2014 at 11:01 am
"Roy" wrote: 'My understanding does not mean I'm right.' ---------- At least you got thatRead More much right.
Donald Lee March 6, 2014 at 12:24 pm
I have to make a point about the holocaust. The Nazis killed something like 7 million peopleRead More "off the battlefield". The fact that the vast majority of these were Jews does not mean that if there had been no Jews to persecute and use as a general scapegoat, the Nazis would not have found someone else. The Nazis did not limit their persecution to Jews. They also killed quite a number of "undesirables". The fact is that the Nazis murdered millions because they were amoral thugs who had ambition unrestrained by morality. In fact Mao and Stalin killed far more people than Hitler, and are far less prominent in our historical consciousness. Mao and Stalin's brutality is a little harder for us to condemn because it was motivated by politics, and in Mao's case, by envy - by the desire to "reduce disparities". The starkest example is Pol Pot, who explicitly strove to create an "equal" society, and in the process, over an amazingly short time span, killed millions. This happened only 40 years ago. We do well to remember these lessons.
Roy Roscoe March 6, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Joyce, re: " Joyce March 06, 2014 at 12:01 PM "Roy" wrote: 'My understanding does notRead More mean I'm right.' ---------- At least you got that much right."----------------- Does that mean I'm one up on you? I'm not counting.
See more »