Sunday, July 29, will mark 100 days until Minnesotans have an opportunity to vote on a proposed constitutional amendment that would define marriage as between one man and one woman in the state constitution (reflecting existing state statute).
According to a statement issued this morning, Minnesotans United for All Families is planning to embark on a "massive statewide effort to reach out to 100,000 voters over a three-day period" to garner support to defeat the amendment.
The statement says that from Saturday to Monday, Minnesotans United will bring in thousands of volunteers to participate in marathon phone banks aimed at talking to voters about what marriage means and who should have the freedom to participate in it.
Other volunteers will participate in Let Your Friends Know trainings, which are focused on galvanizing people to have conversations with people in their lives.
The statement says: "Research shows that the single most important action people can take to defeat the amendment is to start conversations with friends, family and people they know. That same research shows that 67 percent of people with gay and lesbian friends will vote 'No' if their friends talk to them about why marriage is important."
The following events have been scheduled for interested parties:
Saturday, July 28
- Central Minnesota Votes NO! Community Kick-off, 10:15 a.m.-noon First Congregational United Church of Christ Brainerd, Minn.)
- Saint Paul Phone Bank Marathon, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Saint Paul office for Minnesotans United)
- Eagan Phone Bank Marathon, 1-3 p.m. Eagan office for Minnesotans United)
Sunday, July 29
- Minneapolis Let Your Friends Know Training & Phone Bank Marathon, 1-3 p.m. (Minneapolis office & Loring Park office for Minnesotans United)
- Hastings/Rosemount/Inver Grove Heights Votes NO! Community Kick-off, 5:30-6:30 p.m. (Hastings City Hall)
- Duluth Phone Bank Marathon, 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Duluth office for Minnesotans United)
- Hibbing Phone Bank, 6-8 p.m. (Hibbing office for Minnesotans United)
Monday, July 30
- Waite Park Phone Bank, 6:30-8:30 p.m. Waite Park office for Minnesotans United)
- Women United for All Families Phone Bank, 6:30-9 p.m. Saint Paul office for Minnesotans United)
- Winona Phone Bank, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m. First Congregational Church of Winona United Church of Christ )