Brown College Family Wellness Week encourages Mendota Heights families to focus on health
Did you know 4.6 million children – that’s 1 out of every 16 children in the United States – did not receive needed dental care because their families could not afford it? Or that more than one in five (22.4%) people with high blood pressure don't know that they have it , yet high blood pressure in the United States costs the average family $760.
Brown College knows it can be tough to keep your family focused on healthy habits. But as the fall and flu seasons approach, the school wants to make sure families have access to affordable ways to stay healthy throughout the year. That’s why the Brown campus is one of nearly 40 locations nationwide participating in the school’s Family Wellness Week from Oct. 8-Oct. 13. The mission is simple: help families get healthy for little or no cost.
Throughout the week, families in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area are invited to take advantage of free healthcare screenings, such as computer health, the practice of meditation and eating disorder prevention.
Family Wellness Week provides an opportunity for students to take their classroom knowledge into the community to make sure all families have access to healthcare screenings.
Computer Health, Financial Well Being, Stroke Prevention, and Bone Marrow Donation are just few of the lifesaving events going on at Brown College for Family Wellness Week! See below for more details:
- Monday Morning 9:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. – Room 101 - Teenagers and College Students learn how to manage your finances – how to be savvy in a recession! Come play at Brown College!
- Monday Morning 11:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m. - Room 116 – Join Nutrition Workshop –the Medical Assisting Anatomy Students while they present healthy eating and disease prevention!
- Computer Health – Wednesday Evening - October 10th, 2012 – 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. – Room 125 - Join our Software Development, Networking, and Bachelor of Information Technology Students while they show you and your family how to protect your online identity, avoid fraud, and teach your kids to avoid cyber bullying. Also, learn the art of cable management while setting up your own computer network. It is important to use the right cabling at home to protect your toddlers from electrocution, etc.
- Wednesday Evening Meditation Showcase – 6:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. – Room 104 - How to Stay Healthy & Stress Free at Home & Work– The Benefits of Meditation for Adults & Kids
- Thursday, October 11th. Tune in at 9:00 a.m. to 11:30 & 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Listen to The Voice of Brown College. www.tunein.com, search VBC (The Voice of Brown College) You can listen on your smart phone! Join Radio Broadcasting while they interview experts in the field of nutrition & disease prevention. The Students will cover: How to prevent heart disease, what to look for & how to exercise prevention with nutrition.
- Thursday Be the Match - Bone Marrow Registry – Room 113 - 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Thursday, October 11th - Graduate Showcase: Rooms 127 & 128 - 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. – See the students’ talent! How can Brown College Students Help Your Business?
- Thursday, October 11th – Rooms 127 & 128 – 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. - Join the Food Photography Class as they display healthy eating through photos
- Thursday, October 11th, 2012 – Rooms 127 & 128 - 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. - IT Students will provide packets at the Graduate Showcase on how to keep your computer healthy - how to maintain your home computer, protect it from viruses, etc.
- Friday, October 12th - STROKE PREVENTION: 8:00 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ROOM 127 &128 - Sign up with National Community Partner, Life Line Screening to make an appointment for a lifesaving screening. Pre-registration is required. Call 1-800-324-1851 or register online at: www.lifelinescreening.com/community-partners. The screening will be held at the Brown College Mendota Heights Campus. It can save your life! The screening will tell you if you have plaque buildup in your arteries. 80% of strokes are preventive.
- Saturday, October 13th, - 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. – Sam’s Club Eagan & Fridley - Join our Medical Students at Sam’s Club to offer FREE Health Screenings to celebrate women’s health month